|FROM A VIDEOGAME|
This article discusses content originating from the video game Slender: The Arrival and thus is confirmed to be fictional.
Characters and organizations discussed are either entirely fictitious or are portrayed by voice actors/actors.
Slender: The Eight Pages
Kate is the (albeit unseen) player controlled character in Slender: The Eight Pages. According to Slender: The Arrival Kate and her friend CR had a habit of going into the forest frequently as children, flashlight in hand. They would spook themselves on purpose for fun. According to one of the notes, at some point he got lost in the dark, hearing Kate screaming. He eventually got lost and wound up at Kate's house, where she was sitting in the living room. CR tried to get her attention, but failed to do so, and went home.
From Kate's perspective, she was chased around the forest by Slender Man as she found notes on various landmarks.
In Slender: The Arrival
Kate has multiple appearances in the game. Between The Eight Pages and The Arrival, she appears to be in her late teens to early 20's.
Before the setting of the game, Kate and her friend, CR, always went out "ghost hunting" in the woods. They would hallucinate things and start running back to Kate's House. A few years later, Kate was found with a broken video camera, flashlight and a stash of weird drawings. She was soon taken to a psychiatric ward, and had tests done on her. She tried to explain to the doctors, but they would not believe her. A couple of years after the traumatizing experience, Kate was considered stable and sent back to her home. She spent her time with her mother, who soon passed away due to unknown reasons (Possibly Slender Sickness). Kate soon began seeing Slender Man again, and started to draw him more and more often.
Kate was also close friends with Lauren during their childhood, and the two of them would always play on the swing set outside her house. This is what prompts Lauren into investigating Kate's disappearance in the first place, which ultimately places her in mortal danger as the Slender Man starts attempting to kill her.
A video in Chapter 4: Flashback, shows Kate drawing Slender Man, and muttering that "He's here!" She tried her best to barricade the doors, but she soon found Slender Man already inside the house, and desperately tried to escape to her room. Slender Man was right behind her, and as soon as she saw him appear in her room she is either thrown out of her closed window by Slender Man. The tape ends with Lauren baffled.
In the exact day that the game takes place, Kate runs to the woods after fleeing from the video, but in vain as she was caught by Slender Man. She shrieked as loud as she could, making Lauren hear her from a distance. Lauren races to where the scream was, only to find nothing and be stranded near Oakside Park, where Lauren is then captured and teleported to various locations.
Chapter 6: Genesis (added in version 1.3) is a flashback, and confirms that Kate is the person in the original Slender: The Eight Pages.
The ChaserKate is soon found in the Kullman mining shafts chasing Lauren. At this point Kate has become a proxy to Slender Man known as "the Chaser". It is unknown what happened to her, but she now seems feral and wears a mask and has a black substance around her eyes and mouth with very pale skin, possibly due to residing in the mines. Her hoodie and hands are also heavily stained with blood; it is unknown whose blood it is (It's likely that it's blood from multiple people). It appears that her eyes are very sensitive to light. She gets dazed when Lauren concentrates her flashlight's beam towards her face. She also appears to snarl and growl. She keeps chasing Lauren until Lauren finally gets on the elevator and escapes.
In Chapter 5: The Arrival, after Lauren gets knocked out by a proxified Charlie, Lauren wakes up in a room with him. After collecting a book, Charlie disappears, and the crying of Kate is heard. Lauren finds a normal Kate (unmasked and unhooded as well looking badly burned) crying in a corner. Lauren approaches Kate, only for her to turn back into the Chaser and presumably kill Lauren. The last shot of the game shows Lauren's limp body being dragged away by either Charlie, Slender Man, or Kate.
Kate is one of few characters with dialogue in this game. Albeit little to no screentime, she speaks more than any other character, with six quotes over two levels.
- "He's here." - Kate, referring to Slender Man, during the level's opening sequence.
- "Close all the windows and doors. Just...don't let him in." - Kate, instructing the player.
- "Don't go outside...he's out there." - Kate, if the player attempts to leave the house.
- "I need to hide!" - Kate, after Slender Man teleports inside the house.
- "Let go.." - Kate talking to CR, at the start of the recording.
- "I..I can't!" - Kate, refusing to commit suicide with CR, midway through the recording.
- As evident by the songs that play on the radio, Kate seems to have a knack for old fashioned blues and country music. The Radio plays the following songs:
- Kate's last name is either Milens or Hayes. Her email is "email@example.com", that could mean Kate Milens. Also her mother's name is Beth Hayes. However, it could also mean that “Hayes” is possibly her mother’s maiden name.
- Before the official name "Chaser" was discovered within the game files, debug menu, and Patch 2 notes, many fans gave Kate's proxy form nicknames and mistaken identities. These include: "Slender Woman", "Masky", "Jeff", among others.
- The physical appearance of the Chaser is possibly inspired by Kayako Saeki. Developer Brenden Frank stated in an interview that The Grudge was one of the scariest movies he'd ever seen. Kayako and the Chaser have many similarities that include having black hair, a pale face and making terrifying noises when nearby.
- Kate is the first Proxy to be officially announced.
- The Chaser suffers from photophobia, a medical condition that causes the eye(s) to become sensitive to bright lights. Additionally, a symptom of photophobia is common headaches. This is most likely why the Chaser gets confused and makes grunting and growling noises after losing sight of Lauren for a long duration of time.
- Kate is one of the few characters in Slender: The Arrival to speak in dialogue. Others include Charlie Matheson, Jr., his parents, and CR.
- Kate's Chaser is the only enemy on the game to be chased a number of times before the player gets killed (a static appears for a short while possibly Lauren dropped the camera when they get killed, as shown in Homestead that CR did the same case while he is being chased by Charlie before it cuts into black; except on the ending when she touches her) but it depends on the difficulty. This is similar to some games that has a lives system in which there is a number of chance for a player to continue the game before the game over screen is displayed.
- Easy: Possibly unlimited or a large amount of hits before death.
- Normal: 3-4 times.
- Hardcore: 1-2 times.